Torsion springs operate by twisting their ends along their axis.
Torsion springs are used in mechanisms where torque needs to be applied. Torsion springs offer resistance to twisting or torque action and are usually close-wound like the extension spring, but with minimum initial tension.
Torsion springs hold mechanisms together; the tightness of the wind is proportional to the energy stored inside of it. Tension must be removed in order for the spring to release this stored energy.
The ends of a torsion spring are attached to other components, and when those components rotate around the center of the spring, the spring tries to push them back to their original position.
Single & Double Torsion Springs
There are two types of torsion springs: Single bodied and double-bodied. A double torsion spring consists of one set of coils coiled right hand and one set of coils coiled left hand. These coils are connected, usually with an unwound section between the winds, and work in parallel. The sections are designed separately with the total torque being the sum of the two.
Coiling Technologies, Inc. manufactures torsion springs that meet your exacting specifications and that perform in the most challenging industrial applications.
Custom Single & Double Torsion Spring Manufacturer
Through the years, Coiling Technologies, Inc. has strived to maintain an exceptional level of service in the spring industry. Our team of highly skilled engineers will provide design assistance to manufacture a custom spring that will meet your project requirements. Custom prototype springs will be designed and sent for review to ensure the product meets your needs.
Torsion spring design requires engineers to consider factors like spring rate, maximum deflection, maximum load, and the direction of the spring wind. Engineers also take into consideration the inner and outer diameter of the wire used, and the total length of the spring coil.
We can manufacture torsion springs in an array of materials, wire types, sizes, thicknesses, and end types to suit any application. Our customization is unbeatable, and with our springs’ high performance and quality, you can count on us to deliver exactly what you need every time.
Coiling Technologies sources only the best raw materials around the globe as a Torsion Spring Manufacturer. The materials we use meet – and almost always – exceed OEM standards. We offer an extensive array of materials to choose from to ensure the lightest possible product that can handle the most extreme conditions.
- High Carbon Steel
- Low Carbon Steel
- Nickel Plated Carbon Steel
- Stainless Alloys
- Non-Ferrous Metals
- Titanium alloys
Carbon Steel Grades
- Hard Drawn Wire ASTM A227, ASTM A764
- Music Wire ASTM A228
- Oil Tempered Wire ASTM A229
- Chrome Vanadium Wire ASTM A231, ASTM A232
- Chrome Silicon Wire ASTM A401, ASTM A877, ASTM A1000, SAE 9254
- SAE 4160 ASTM A322, ASTM 689
- SAE 4340 ASTM A322, ASTM 689
- SAE 5160 ASTM A29, ASTM A304, ASTM A689
- 51CrV4 EN 1.8159
- 52CrMoV4 EN 1.7701 EN 10089:2005
Properties: The most common type of spring steel. Very economical. High strength and good ductility. Suitable for elevated temperatures up to 450 degrees and repeated shock loading.
- 17-4 ASTM A564
- 17-7 Stainless ASTM A313, AMS 5678F
- 302 Stainless ASTM A313-18
- 316 Stainless ASTM A313-18
Properties: Remarkable resistance to corrosion. Less expensive and reliable. Good tensile strength.
Super Alloys and Nickel Alloys
- Alloy 20 UNS N08020
- A286 Alloy AMS 5737, ASTM A453, ASTM A638
- Hastelloy C-276 ASTM B574
- Inconel 600 ASTM B166, AMS 5665, QQ-W-390
- Inconel 625 ASTM B446, AMS 5666
- Inconel 718 ASTM B637, AMS 5662
- Inconel X-750 ASTM AB637, AMS 5699, AMS 5698
- Monel 400 ASTM B164, AMS 4730
- Monel K500 ASTM B865, QQ-N-286
Properties: Used in extreme environments where tremendous heat and corrosion resistance is paramount. These materials can withstand extreme high temperatures and stress corrosion cracking. They are resistant to non-oxidizing acids.
- Elgiloy AMS 5833
- Haynes 282 UNS N07208
- MP35N AMS 5844, AMS 5845
- Nimonic 90 AMS 5829
- Rene 41 AMS 5545, AMS 5713
- Waspaloy ASTM B637, AMS 5706
Properties: Highly resistant to sulfide stress corrosion and cracking.
Properties: Nonmagnetic and extremely resistant to corrosion
- Wire .007 to .625 Inches in diameter
- Bar 0.625 – 2.500 inches in diameter
- Diameters up to 24 inches
- Lengths up to 72 inches
Torsion springs are generally mounted around a shaft or arbor and must be supported at three or more points. Various kinds of ends are available to facilitate mounting:
- Short hook
- Straight offset
- Straight torsion
- Double torsion
Custom Torsion Spring Applications
Torsion springs can be found in many applications and can work in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise manner. The list of products using a torsion spring is extensive and includes simple everyday items like clothespins to heavy-duty components for nautical hatches:
- Clothes pins
- Garage doors
- Self-closing doors
- Maritime hatches
- Automotive lift gates
- Counterbalance mechanisms
- Machine components
- Swing-down tailgates
- Chair controls
- Window shades
Your Customized Spring Partner
Coiling Technologies Inc. has the technical expertise, industry experience, and manufacturing capability to meet your torsion spring needs.
- Certified ISO 9001-2015 manufacturer of custom-crafted small or large coil springs, compression springs, extension springs, suspension springs, wave springs, and torsion springs
- More than 45 years of experience in the spring-making industry
- Cutting-edge technology and efficient manufacturing methods to shorten production times and improve product consistency
- Capacity to deliver any size order out of our 110,000 square-foot facility in Houston, TX from prototype runs to high-volume orders
- On-site Coiling Technologies has other capabilities which include heat treating, powder coating, special coatings, magnetic particle inspection, shot peening, cycle testing, stamping, and wire forms.
Coiling Technologies designs and develops customized suspension springs to your requirements. Our engineers work closely with you to configure and create customized suspension springs that meet your exact specifications.
Contact us today for a quote!